We are looking for research projects that help grow New Zealand’s understanding of Asia in key policy areas, such as:
- regional and international trade
- international law
- defence / security
- cyber, technology and innovation
- international relations and diplomacy.
Applications rounds close for independent peer-reviewed assessment on:
- 31 March 2023
- 31 July 2023
- 30 November 2023
We will endeavor to provide applicants with a decision about their application within eight weeks of the closing date of the most recent application round.
Proposals should include
- clear and sound research questions and arguments
- anticipated outcomes and key outputs
- a detailed budget for grant proceeds - setting out anticipated travel, accommodation, fieldwork and research expenses (tuition fees will not be covered).
Terms and conditions
- a financial report of relevant expenditure
- a 700-1000-word article (with photos) relating to the research that may be published on our website.
- Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or New Zealand permanent residents.
- Applications for retrospective funding will not be considered.
Read the Foundation's full terms and conditions for grantees (applicable where relevant)
Asia-related research and fieldwork need not be tied to completion of a specific degree/qualification - one-off projects/programmes will also be considered.
How to apply
To apply, please fill in our online application form.
Note that the next application round does not close until 31 March 2023 and submitted applications will not be evaluated until this date.
For more information, please contact Dr James To, senior adviser (Research and Engagement): [email protected]