What type of opportunities will you fund?
The Travel Fund is to support members with travel to attend opportunities that will help further their leadership, professional development or for buidling of Asian expertise and networks. This might include speaking on a panel, attending a relavent conference or hosting an event.
What can I use the money for?
The Travel Fund can be used to cover costs associated with travel and accommodation. You will be required to provide the Foundation a financial record of how the funding was used.
What if I have funding from other sources?
If you have multiple sources of funding, you must disclose this. If you receive additional funding to cover your expenses after your application has been successful, we expect you to let us know. Please respect that we have limited funds to share among network members.
I’ve received funding from the Travel Fund in the past, can I apply again?
Yes, you can apply again – as long as it is not in the same financial year as a previous fund. If you have been successful in a fund, you will have to wait until the next financial year to apply again.
Last time I applied I was unsuccessful, can I apply again?
Yes, we encourage you to apply for any opportunity that meets the requirements of the fund. If you are re-applying for the same opportunity, we recommend that you request feedback to be clear as to why your initial application was unsuccessful.
What if I don’t spend all the money?
Any unspent funds must be returned to the Foundation. A written report including a financial record of expenses must be provided to the Foundation.
How will my application be evaluated?
Your application is evaluated by the Advisory Board. Applications are evaluated accorded to how well:
- your opportunity aligns to the strategic direction of the Foundation and the Network
- your opportunity supports your professional and/or leadership development.
- you will amplify your experience to the wider Network and the Foundation’s stakeholders. This includes supporting the Foundation with content (e.g. web stories, a write-up for the Foundation’s Asia Media Centre, or being able to present on your experience at a Network event) that contributes to equipping New Zealanders to thrive in Asia
- You are actively engaged in the Network (see below)
- You mitigate any risks (e.g. reputational, health & safety) that funding your activity might pose to the Foundation, the Network, or other participants.
How ‘actively engaged’ in the Network do I need to be?
There is no hard and fast rule on this. We take into account what has been available to you, and different ways to engage. If you have attended events in the past 12 months, tell us which ones.
If you have engaged more informally with members, let us know how. If you haven’t been able to attend the Foundation’s events, then let us know what you have been doing elsewhere to further the mission of the Network and the Foundation.
I’m new to the Network. Can I still apply?
Yes! You’re eligible to apply for Travel Fund grants as soon as you have participated in an induction or were selected in 2020 and are awaiting an induction.
Can offshore members apply?
Offshore members are unable to apply for the domestic travel grant.
Can more than one member apply for the same opportunity?
What responsibilities do I have if I received the funding?
If you are a successful recipient of the Travel Fund grant, you are required to ensure that you:
- provide the Foundation with financial reporting on progress and outcomes of your opportunity within two weeks of completion
- provide an article the Foundation can promote on the website with photos within two weeks of returning
- acknowledge the support you have received from the Foundation in any promotional activities (verbal or written), and share links with the Foundation.