What type of opportunities will you fund?
The Travel Fund is to support members with travel to attend opportunities that will help further their study, leadership, professional development or buidling of Asian expertise and networks. Opportunities need to align with the mission of the Network and the Foundation.
Please note that we will not be funding business internship opportunities. If you would are interested in interning in Asia, check out our business internships.
What can I use the money for?
The Travel Fund can be used to cover costs associated with travel (including airfares or ground travel), or for accommodation if transport is provided by a host. You will be required to provide the Foundation a financial record of how the funding was used.
What if I have funding from other sources?
It is likely you will have multiple sources of funding to support your opportunities. We request that you disclose what other funding you have available, especially any that might also cover your travel expenses.
If you receive additional funding to cover your expenses after your Travel Fund application has been successful, we expect you to let us know. Please respect that the Foundation can’t duplicate funding you have received from another source.
I’ve received funding from the Travel Fund in the past, can I apply again?
Yes, you can apply again – as long as it is not in the same financial year as your previous funding. If you have been successful in a fund, you will have to wait until the next financial year to apply again.
Last time I applied I was rejected, can I apply again?
Yes, we encourage you to apply for any opportunity that meets the requirements of the fund. If you are re-applying for the same opportunity, we recommend that you request feedback to be clear as to why your initial application was unsuccessful.
What if I don’t spend all the money?
Any unspent funds must be returned to the Foundation. A written report including a financial record of expenses must be provided to the Foundation.
How will my application be evaluated?
Your application is evaluated by a panel including Advisory Board members and Foundation staff. Applications are evaluated accorded to how well:
- Your opportunity aligns to the strategic direction of the Foundation and the Network
- Your opportunity supports your professional and/or leadership development.
- You will amplify your experience to the wider Network and the Foundation’s stakeholders. Supporting the Foundation with content (e.g. web stories, a write-up for the Foundation’s Asia Media Centre, or being able to present on your experience at a Network event) are examples of this.
- You are actively engaged in the Network (see below)
- You mitigate any risks (e.g. reputational, health & safety) that funding your activity might pose to the Foundation, the Network, or other participants.
How ‘actively engaged’ in the Network do I need to be?
There is no hard and fast rule on this. We take into account what has been available to you, and different ways to engage. If you have attended events in the past 12 months, tell us which ones.
If you have engaged more informally with members, let us know how. If you haven’t been able to attend the Foundation’s events, then let us know what you have been doing elsewhere to further the mission of the Network and the Foundation.
I’m new to the Network, and have only attended the induction. Can I still apply?
Yes! You’re eligible to apply for Travel Fund grants as soon as you have participated in an induction programme.
Can offshore members apply?
Absolutely. You don’t have to be travelling from New Zealand to be eligible to apply for this fund.
What responsibilities do I have if I received the funding?
If you are a successful recipient of the Travel Fund grant you are required to ensure that you:
- have appropriate visa, passport, and insurance coverage for the trip
- have had the appropriate vaccinations for the trip (your grant money can be used to cover this)
- provide the Foundation with narrative and financial reporting on progress and outcomes of your opportunity within two weeks of completion
- share a few short emails updates during the trip, and within two weeks of returning an article the Foundation can promote on the website with photos
- acknowledge the support you have received from the Founadtion in any promotional activities (verbal or written), and share links with the Foundation.