These are for senior secondary and undergraduate students in New Zealand who have been accepted on exchange programmes to Japan.
The $1000 grants, which are kindly funded by Nakashimato Co Ltd, are a contribution towards study costs.
To be eligible for a Study Grant to Japan, individual applicants must:
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- be enrolled in a secondary school or an undergraduate degree programme in New Zealand
- be aged between 16 and 25 at the time of study
- have been accepted by both their home and destination institutions into an exchange programme lasting three months or more
- have completed, at a minimum, NCEA Level 1 Japanese or one semester of full-time tertiary study including Japanese language
- have a good academic record
- have a demonstrated interest in learning or developing their Japanese language skills and increasing their understanding of Japanese culture
- be unable to meet the total costs of the visit due financial hardship.
Students must be enrolled in a secondary school or undergraduate qualification at the time of application and throughout the period of study abroad.
Applicants must be participating in a formal exchange agreement/study tour between the destination and home institutions.
Selection for individual applicants will be based on:
- academic merit
- goals for the visit and reasons for studying in Japan
- demonstration of interpersonal and leadership skills (such as community service)
- ability to adapt to different environments
- interest in furthering relations between New Zealand and Asia.
How to apply
Before you begin we suggest you go through the application form to get an idea of what is required.
Applications open 18 March, 2019 and close 10 May 2019.