These are for senior secondary and undergraduate students in New Zealand who have been accepted on exchange programmes to Japan.
The $1000 grants, which are kindly funded by Nakashimato Co Ltd, are a contribution towards study costs.
To be eligible for a Study Grant to Japan, individual applicants must:
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- be enrolled in a secondary school or an undergraduate degree programme in New Zealand
- be aged between 16 and 25 at the time of study
- have been accepted by both their home and destination institutions into an exchange programme lasting three months or more
- have completed, at a minimum, NCEA Level 1 Japanese or one semester of full-time tertiary study including Japanese language
- have a good academic record
- have a demonstrated interest in learning or developing their Japanese language skills and increasing their understanding of Japanese culture
- be unable to meet the total costs of the visit due financial hardship.
Students must be enrolled in a secondary school or undergraduate qualification at the time of application and throughout the period of study abroad.
Applicants must be participating in a formal exchange agreement/study tour between the destination and home institutions.