An independent panel appointed by Asia New Zealand Foundation will select a shortlist of candidates, from which Youkobo Art Space will make a choice.
Selection criteria will include:
- record of achievement – artists must have had at least one group show and one solo show
- specific artistic rationale for wishing to be resident in Tokyo
- the quality and significance of the proposed residency project. This may include research, meeting with
- identified artistic/cultural influences, creating a new body of work and/or artistic collaborations, and must include an element of community engagement
- ability to develop networks and work collaboratively
- an understanding of the aims of the Asia New Zealand Foundation
- ability to adapt to living and working in a new environment
Participants are selected based on the strength of their proposal and its suitability to the Youkobo facilities, as well as the quality of previous work.
Preference will be given to projects with potential for artistic collaboration, community engagement, and development of networks.