Applications have closed for the latest round.
The 2024 round will open for applications on Monday 27 May and close Monday 08 July for projects that will commence no earlier than 01 September 2024.
(Banner image:Planet Deer exhibition, image by Yoko Ishii, Japan. Presented in 2019 by the Auckland Festival of Photography)
Who can apply?
- Established arts organisations with a track record of professional presentation e.g. galleries, festivals, performing arts venues etc.
- Independent event organisers of high-profile professional arts events, including festival directors, curators or producers.
- Professional event organisers from an organisation whose primary business is not arts but where the event is primarily focused on the delivery of professional arts experiences to a wide audience e.g. local/regional councils, council-controlled entities.
Applications will not be accepted from:
- Organisers without a professional track record or organisations that are not primarily arts organisations e.g. schools, clubs, student groups, religious groups etc.
- Organisations not resident in New Zealand
What kind of projects are supported?
The Foundation's Arts Project Fund is for:
- the presentation of contemporary professional work from Asia that is aimed at attracting a general New Zealand audience
- the presentation of new, contemporary works by New Zealand-based artists that strongly reflect a contemporary Asian perspective
- presentation of professional artists or arts commentators from Asia in discussions or conversations in a conference or festival context
- workshop/education projects that use senior international art form experts from an Asian background and allow for widespread participation.
What kind of projects do we not support?
Arts project funding is not for;
- community events that are largely social in nature or have a limited audience, or that primarily benefit the applicant community.
- New Zealand work being shown off-shore.
- projects related to film or book production or research.
- promotional or speaking engagements offshore.
- projects run by diplomatic posts or business groups where the artists or art work is used primarily for promotional purposes.
- projects that have already been completed or where ongoing assistance is requested for the same project.
What can funding cover?
- Artist costs, including artist fees, land transfers within New Zealand, international and/or national travel and freight costs, and visa costs .
- Venue and technical costs for the presentation of the artists/art work in New Zealand.
- Marketing and promotion costs where the campaign is directed at accessing a mainstream New Zealand audience.
How much can you apply for?
Applicants may request up to $20,000 from this fund.
The total amount provided will be influenced by the impact and reach the project has with a general New Zealander audience.
Terms and conditions
Successful applicants will be required to agree to the standard terms and conditions for Asia New Zealand Foundation funding recipients.
How to apply
The latest application round has now closed. The next round opens on 24 May, 2024.
If using the same computer, you will be able to start the form and return to it later without losing any of the information you have uploaded.
As well as general contact information, you will need to provide:
- approximate start and finish dates of your project
- where the project will take place and who will be involved
- who the target audience is and approximately how many people the project will reach
- a plan for marketing the project and an estimate for the number of people the project will reach
- information on how the project will impact New Zealanders' perceptions of Asia
- a breakdown of costs (artists costs, marketing, venue etc)
- background information on the artists/company art work you are wishing to present.
- a production/exhibition/event budget.
Applications close 29 May