Kiwi Asian Journalism Scholarship
Monday, 10 August 2009
Asia:NZ is launching an inaugural scholarship as a way of attracting more Asian New Zealanders into journalism.
The scholarship will apply to the 2010 calendar year and be for the value of $5000 to be paid on completion of the successful candidate’s course of journalism study.
The scholarship is designed to encourage greater representation of Asian communities in mainstream New Zealand journalism.
By way of background, a 2007 survey of New Zealand journalists undertaken by the New Zealand Journalism Training Organisation (NZJTO) showed that only about 2 percent of all journalists working in the mainstream English language news media were Asian. This is despite Asian New Zealanders making up about ten percent of the population.
To be eligible to apply for the scholarship, candidates will need to be:
- New Zealand passport holders
- New Zealand residents
- Asian or part Asian in ethnicity
- Considering a career in news journalism
- Under the age of 25 years
- Be accepted into a course of journalism study at an NZJTO affiliated journalism school
- Ability to speak an Asian language is an advantage
The deadline for applications is 30 November 2009.
For more information, contact Asia New Zealand Foundation media adviser Charles Mabbett on firstname.lastname@example.org or 04 470 8701.