We offer Asia-focused business seminars and networking opportunities in New Zealand and internships in Asia
Thailand visit for fashion entrepreneurs
The Asia New Zealand Foundation will take up to five young New Zealand fashion entrepreneurs and business leaders the chance to visit Thailand.
The week-long programme will give participants a better understanding of the fashion sector in Thailand and the region and allow participants to attend the Bangkok International Fashion Week.
Applications have now closed
About the trip
Dates: TBC (awaiting the dates of BIFW) but March 2018
This opportunity is part of the ASEAN Young Business Leaders Initiative (YBLI), a key part of the New Zealand Government’s ASEAN strategy. The aim of the programme is to facilitate trade and build connections between business leaders and entrepreneurs in New Zealand and Southeast Asia. This is achieved through short targeted visits to New Zealand and Southeast Asia.
As of February 2017, 80 business leaders and entrepreneurs from all 10 ASEAN countries have visited New Zealand and 26 business leaders and entrepreneurs from New Zealand have travelled to Southeast Asia. This is the sixth group of ‘Kiwi’ YBLIs.
Read about some previous ASEAN YBLI trips to Asia:
- F&B entrepreneurs get a taste of Malaysia and Singapore
- Indonesia a foodies' paradise for F&B entrepreneurs
- Social entrepreneurs connect in the Philippines
Successful applicants will meet designers, buyers and entrepreneurs in the fashion sector, develop a greater knowledge of the Thai business environment as it relates to the creative sector, and explore ways to collaborate with entrepreneurs from Thailand.
During the trip you will:
- learn about the Thai fashion and creative sector
- meet and network with entrepreneurs in Bangkok
- connect with government officials from New Zealand and Thailand
- take time to understand the culture of Thailand and to connect with your group members
- attend Bangkok International Fashion Week.
The Foundation will work with the New Zealand Embassy and the New Zealand Trade Commission in Bangkok to deliver the programme.
Who can apply?
Applicants must be:
- aged under 40
- an entrepreneur or business leader at CEO or senior management level in a New Zealand fashion business.
Outstanding start-up entrepreneurs or emerging entrepreneurs will also be considered. No knowledge or experience of Thailand is expected.
- have New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, but can be based offshore
- be interested in connecting with equivalents from other countries and exploring international business opportunities
- be confident public speakers willing to engage in dialogue with entrepreneurs from other countries
- be willing to contribute to the Foundation’s Leadership Network and Arts and Culture programmes
How to apply
Applications have now closed.
The Asia New Zealand Foundation will fund the costs of successful applicants, including a return economy airfare, domestic transport, accommodation as well as most meals and miscellaneous expenses. Participants will need to cover their own spending money and insurance costs.
Applications will be assessed by the Asia New Zealand Foundation staff in consultation with external experts, and the New Zealand Embassy in Thailand.