We offer Asia-focused business seminars and networking opportunities in New Zealand and internships in Asia
Southeast Asian agribusiness entrepreneurs and business leaders NZ visit
The Asia New Zealand Foundation and the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade offers six to eight young Southeast Asian agribusiness entrepreneurs and business leaders the chance to visit New Zealand.
The week-long programme will give participants a better understanding of New Zealand’s world renowned agriculture sector.
Applications close 2 April 2018.
About the trip
Dates: 13-18 June 2018
This opportunity is part of the ASEAN Young Business Leaders Initiative (YBLI), a key part of the New Zealand government’s ASEAN strategy. The initiative was created to strengthen links between entrepreneurs and business leaders in Southeast Asia and in New Zealand.
So far, 80 business leaders from across all ten ASEAN member countries representing a range of industries have visited New Zealand. In addition, 26 entrepreneurs from New Zealand have travelled to Southeast Asia.
Successful applicants will meet New Zealand agribusiness entrepreneurs and business leaders, develop a greater knowledge of New Zealand’s world renowned agriculture sector and explore ways to collaborate with entrepreneurs from New Zealand. Applicants will also attend New Zealand’s top agribusiness event, Fieldays.
During the trip you will:
- learn about the New Zealand business environment, specifically with regard to agriculture
- meet and network with entrepreneurs and business leaders in Auckland, Wellington and Waikato
- meet with government officials from New Zealand and ASEAN
- connect with the Asia New Zealand Foundation’s Leadership Network, a network of New Zealand’s top young leaders
- take time to understand the culture of New Zealand
- attend New Zealand’s top agribusiness event, Fieldays
The Foundation will work with the New Zealand diplomatic posts in ASEAN to deliver the programme.
Who can apply?
- be aged under 40
- be able to demonstrate leadership in their field and a working level of English language ability
- be an entrepreneur or business leader at CEO or senior management level from one of the ten ASEAN nations
- work or lead a business involved in agriculture or agribusiness.
OOutstanding start-up entrepreneurs or emerging entrepreneurs will also be considered. No knowledge or experience of New Zealand is required.
- be based in and have citizenship of one of the ten ASEAN member countries
- be interested in connecting with equivalents from other countries and exploring international business opportunities
- be confident public speakers willing to engage in dialogue with entrepreneurs from other countries
- be willing to contribute to the relationship between New Zealand and ASEAN.
How to apply
Applicants will need to provide:
- a letter indicating your interest in this opportunity, outlining why you would like to interact with entrepreneurs in New Zealand and where you see the potential to collaborate
- a curriculum vitae (including your date of birth)
- a letter of support from your company if you are a senior manager or emerging leader (ie not the CEO).
Please send your application to Adam McConnochie
The Asia New Zealand Foundation will fund the costs of successful applicants, including a return economy airfare, domestic transport, accommodation and insurance, as well as most meals and miscellaneous expenses.
Applications will be assessed by the relevant New Zealand Embassy or High Commission. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed either in person or via Skype. In New Zealand a panel made up of Asia New Zealand Foundation, New Zealand Trade and Enterprise and the ASEAN New Zealand Business Council will consult with overseas posts to make a final decision.
Read stories from our ASEAN YBLI programme
- Young business leaders build ASEAN network
- Entrepreneur brings West Java coffee to New Zealand
- Southeast Asian entrepreneurs journey of discovery at Fieldays
- Southeast Asia entrepreneurs visit Fieldays