Opportunity: Youkobo Art Space residency, Tokyo
Asia New Zealand Foundation and Creative New Zealand are calling for applications for an artist in residence programme in Tokyo, Japan, for visual artists.
The successful candidate will live and work in Tokyo at Youkobo Art Space, a prestigious residency organisation in central Tokyo, for three months in September-November 2018. They will have the opportunity to meet and work with other international artists and curators.
Asia New Zealand Foundation will provide a NZ$9000 grant to the successful applicant to cover airfares and living expenses for three months. The artist may need to contribute some of their own funds, or secure funding from other avenues to supplement their living or production costs.
- be professional, practicing visual artists. That is, they must make the bulk of their income from practising art or working within artistic fields;
- have had at least one group and one solo show;
- be emerging to mid-career artists with a record of achievement. Students or artists within two years of finishing under-graduate study are not eligible to apply;
- be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents;
- be currently residing in New Zealand, and intending to live in New Zealand for at least one year after they complete the residency.
An independent panel appointed by Asia New Zealand Foundation will select a shortlist of candidates, from which Youkobo Art Space will make a choice.
Selection criteria will include:
- record of achievement – artists must have had at least one group show and one solo show
- a specific artistic rationale for wishing to be resident in Tokyo
- the quality and significance of the proposed residency project. This may include research, meeting with identified artistic/cultural influences, creating a new body of work and/or artistic collaborations, and must include an element of community engagement
- ability to develop networks and work collaboratively
- an understanding of the aims of the Asia New Zealand Foundation
- ability to adapt to living and working in a new environment.
Participants are selected based on the strength of their proposal and its suitability to the Youkobo facilities, as well as the quality of previous work.
Preference will be given to projects with potential for artistic collaboration, community engagement, and development of networks.
Successful candidates will be announced by Friday 30 June and the residency will take place in September-November 2018.
Terms and conditions
Successful applicants will be required to agree to the standard Terms and Conditions for Asia New Zealand Foundation funding recipients.
Foundation grantees are expected provide reports on their experience, seek opportunities to share their experience on their return to New Zealand, and remain engaged with the Asia New Zealand Foundation - this could mean an exhibition, a series of presentations or artists talks, or publication of articles.
Residency recipients are required to write a 600 word article (with photos) on their residency experience (to be submitted during or no longer than a month after returning from the internship) that will appear on the Foundation’s website.
How to apply
- Please fill out the residency application form provided and email or Dropbox it with supporting material to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Material by email or dropbox is preferred but if you need to post supporting material please send it to the address below
- Support material will not be returned – do not include original material in an application.
DEADLINE: Applications must reach the Asia New Zealand Foundation office no later than 5pm Monday 5 June 2017. Late applications will not be accepted and extensions will not be granted.
Asia New Zealand Foundation
PO Box 10 144
Asia New Zealand Foundation
Level 16, Fujitsu Tower
141 The Terrace
For further information please contact:
Monica Turner: 04-815 8439, email@example.com
This residency is kindly supported by Creative New Zealand