We commission social, economic and education research to encourage public debate and help policy-makers informed decisions about New Zealand’s engagement with Asia
Opportunity: Postgraduate research grants
Each year the Foundation offers three grants of $5,000 to support postgraduate research into contemporary issues in the Asian region. The 2017 application round has now closed.
These grants are intended for new research that will promote debate and discussion on matters relating to Asia and New Zealand with implications for foreign and trade policy.
Possible themes include:
- international relations, regional security, interfaith issues, security challenges, or regional environmental issues
- trade policy issues in Asia; transnational economic integration (e.g. value chains and production networks); governance and regulation (e.g. SOEs, government procurement, labour and investment flows).
Applicants must be:
- New Zealand citizens or permanent residents undertaking postgraduate research at any tertiary institution in New Zealand who need supplementary support for overseas fieldwork undertaken as part of their degree
- Undertaking new research (i.e. not already duplicating work that is already done).
Proposals must indicate (briefly) the current state of research knowledge relating to their topic and how the proposal extends that knowledge.
Capital purchases, conference attendance, or similar costs are not generally funded. Where these costs are likely to be incurred during the proposed research the applicant should contact the Foundation to discuss acceptable options prior to submitting the proposal.
All offers of funding are subject to the Foundation’s standard research contract terms.
Grant recipients are required to provide a progress report on fieldwork within one month of its completion, and on use of the grant funds. A template is available on request.
Grantees may be invited to participate in a seminar event to share their research findings, hosted by the Foundation.
Applicants must supply the following information before the deadline:
- a completed application form and relevant attachments
- Cover letter explaining research and why an application for grants is being made
Completing the application form
All sections of the form must be completed and the full supporting documentation attached.
Instructions on how to fill out the application form appear alongside questions in the form.
Incomplete application forms will not be considered. Use the checklist at the end of the form to make sure your application is complete.
For more information, please contact:
Dr James To, Senior Adviser (Research)
Asia New Zealand Foundation
PO Box 10 144,