Opportunity: Malaysia visit for food and beverage entrepreneurs
The Asia New Zealand Foundation offers five young New Zealand food and beverage entrepreneurs the chance to visit Malaysia.
The week-long programme will give participants a better understanding of the food and beverage sector in Malaysia, New Zealand’s ninth largest trading partner.
Applications close 31 March 2017.
About the trip
Dates: 11-18 May, 2017
This opportunity is part of the ASEAN Young Business Leaders Initiative (YBLI), a key part of the New Zealand Government’s ASEAN strategy. The aim of the visit is to facilitate trade and build connections between business leaders and entrepreneurs in New Zealand and Southeast Asia. This is achieved through short targeted visits to New Zealand and Southeast Asia.
As of February 2017, 66 business leaders and entrepreneurs from all 10 ASEAN countries have visited New Zealand and 21 business leaders and entrepreneurs from New Zealand have travelled to Southeast Asia. This is the fifth group of ‘Kiwi’ YBLIs to visit Southeast Asia
Successful applicants will meet Malaysian entrepreneurs in the F&B sector, develop a greater knowledge of the Malaysian business environment, and explore ways to collaborate with entrepreneurs from Malaysia. The group will also attend Food Connections in Singapore displaying their products and meeting with distributors and buyers from Singapore and across the region.
During the trip you will:
- learn about the Malaysian business environment, specifically with regard to F&B
- meet and network with entrepreneurs in Kuala Lumpur and at least one other place in Malaysia, likely Penang
- meet with government officials from New Zealand and Malaysia
- interact with entrepreneurs and business leaders from Malaysia who have participated in the ASEAN Young Business Leaders Initiative
- take time to understand the culture of Malaysia
- attend attend NZTE food event, Food Connections.
The Foundation will work with the New Zealand High Commission and the New Zealand Trade Commission in Kuala Lumpur to deliver the programme.
Who can apply?
Applicants must be:
- aged under 40
- an entrepreneur or business leader at CEO or senior management level in a New Zealand F&B business.
Outstanding start-up entrepreneurs or emerging entrepreneurs will also be considered. No knowledge or experience of Malaysia is expected.
- have New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, but can be based offshore
- be interested in connecting with equivalents from other countries and exploring international business opportunities
- be confident public speakers willing to engage in dialogue with entrepreneurs from other countries
- be willing to apply and contribute to the Foundation’s Leadership Network.
How to apply
Applicants will need to provide:
- a letter indicating your interest in this opportunity, outlining why you would like to interact with entrepreneurs in Indonesia and where you see the potential to collaborate
- a curriculum vitae
- a letter of support from your company if you are a senior manager or emerging leader (ie not the CEO).
Please send your application to project manager - ASEAN YBLI Adam McConnochie
The Asia New Zealand Foundation will fund the costs of successful applicants, including a return economy airfare, domestic transport, accommodation as well as most meals and miscellaneous expenses. Participants will need to cover their own spending money and insurance costs.
Applications will be assessed by the Asia New Zealand Foundation staff in consultation with external experts, and the New Zealand High Commission in Kuala Lumpur.
Email: project manager ASEAN YBLI Adam McConnochie.