Opportunity: ITRI internship in Taiwan for commerce or business studies students
This three-month internship is for senior commerce or business studies students interested in learning about business matchmaking and managing investor relations in Asia.
Applications for 2018 have now closed
The successful candidates will be placed at the Industrial Technology Research Institute’s (ITRI) International Centre, where they will gain experience in facilitating investment partnerships between Taiwan and international partners. Commerce or business studies students with an interest in high-technology are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Internship
Interns will be placed within the ITRI International Centre, which includes the Taiwan USA (TUSA) Industrial Promotion Office.
The intern will be given a specific project or meaningful work to do, which may include market research and facilitating and brokering relationships between international investors and companies in Taiwan. A mentoring supervisor will be assigned to monitor the intern’s professional development and welfare.
The internship will take place over three months (less than 90 days), between late November and February.
The ITRI International Office is focused on the following:
- Building links between ITRI / Taiwanese companies and the international business community.
- Helping overseas companies interested in the Taiwan market to find collaboration partners in Taiwan.
- Helping Taiwanese companies in finding overseas markets for their products and services.
- Helping ITRI departments to find overseas markets for their technologies.
The TUSA Office is involved in the following kinds of work:
- Helping catalyse industrial cooperation and investment between prospective partners from Taiwan and the United States.
- Assisting US business to set up R&D centres in Taiwan or help Taiwan-registered US companies to apply for government incentives.
- Offering matchmaking for technology cooperation between companies of the two countries
- Facilitating bilateral investment.
- Furnishing support to start-ups with venture capital from both countries.
The Asia New Zealand Foundation covers return airfares and provides a stipend to cover living expenses and accommodation costs in Taiwan.
Some interns stay in dormitories on the ITRI Hsinchu campus which offers a variety of dining and recreational facilities while others use online accommodation sharing services to identify affordable accommodation located near their work.
Interns will need to contribute around NZ$500 of their own funds to cover expenses.
Applicants must be:
- New Zealand citizens or have New Zealand permanent resident status
- due to complete at least two years of tertiary study by November 2018
- an enrolled student when you return from the internship - i.e. returning to continue studying at university/ graduate school
- adaptable, mature, reliable and resilient
- able to demonstrate a strong interest in developing a career involving New Zealand and the Asian region
Knowledge of Chinese language, while useful, is not a prerequisite for this internship as English is widely spoken at ITRI.
Terms and Conditions
Successful applicants will be required to agree to the standard terms and conditions (PDF - 418KB) for Asia New Zealand Foundation funding recipients.
Applicants should be willing to:
- take out appropriate travel insurance (subsidised by the Foundation)
- contribute $500 to their living costs while offshore
- contribute a 600- word article with photographs for the Foundation’s website while offshore
- write a final three-page report evaluating the internship experience
- participate in Foundation professional development activities and networking events after they return from Taiwan.
How to apply
Applications for 2018 have now closed
For more information phone on 09 369 5014.
Read stories from previous interns
- Business intern finds massive Taiwan company a world within itself - read Richard liu's account of his time at ITRI