We offer Asia-focused business seminars and networking opportunities in New Zealand and internships in Asia
Opportunity: Indonesia visit for tech entrepreneurs
The Asia New Zealand Foundation is offering up-to five New Zealand tech entrepreneurs and business leaders the chance to visit Indonesia.
Applications close 1 October 2018.
The week-long programme will give participants a better understanding of the tech sector in Indonesia and Southeast Asia and allow participants to attend a relevant tech-focussed event.
About the trip
Dates: 11-17 November 2018
This opportunity is part of the ASEAN Young Business Leaders Initiative (YBLI), a key part of the New Zealand Government’s ASEAN strategy. The aim of the programme is to facilitate trade and build connections between business leaders and entrepreneurs in New Zealand and Southeast Asia. This is achieved through short targeted visits to New Zealand and Southeast Asia.
As of August 2018, 87 business leaders and entrepreneurs from all 10 ASEAN countries have visited New Zealand and 36 business leaders and entrepreneurs from New Zealand have travelled to Southeast Asia. This is the eighth group of ‘Kiwi’ YBLIs.
Successful applicants will visit Ubud (in Bali) and Jakarta where they will meet Indonesian entrepreneurs in the tech sector, develop a greater knowledge of the Indonesian business environment, and explore ways to collaborate with entrepreneurs from Indonesia.
During the trip you will:
- learn about the Indonesian tech sector
- meet and network with entrepreneurs
- explore business opportunities
- take time to understand the culture of Indonesia and to connect with your group members
- attend a relevant tech-focussed event
The Foundation will work with the New Zealand Embassy in Jakarta to deliver the programme.
Who can apply?
Applicants must be:
- aged under 40
- an entrepreneur or business leader at CEO or senior management level in a New Zealand tech business.
Outstanding start-up entrepreneurs or emerging entrepreneurs will also be considered. No knowledge or experience of Indonesia is expected.
- have New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, but can be based offshore
- be interested in connecting with equivalents from other countries and exploring international business opportunities
- be confident public speakers willing to engage in dialogue with entrepreneurs from other countries
- be willing to contribute to the Foundation’s Leadership Network and entrepreneurship programme.
How to apply
Applicants will need to provide:
- a letter indicating your interest in this opportunity, outlining why you would like to interact with entrepreneurs in Indonesia and where you see the potential to collaborate
- a curriculum vitae
- a letter of support from your company if you are a senior manager or emerging leader (ie not the CEO).
Please send your application to Alexis Allen: firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 October 2018.
The Asia New Zealand Foundation will fund the costs of successful applicants, including a return economy airfare, domestic transport, accommodation as well as most meals and miscellaneous expenses. Participants will need to cover their own spending money and insurance costs.
Applications will be assessed by the Asia New Zealand Foundation staff in consultation with external experts, and the New Zealand Embassy in Jakarta.
Email: Alexis Allen: email@example.com.
Read some stories from previous ASEAN YBLI trips
- Opinion: Philippines the next hot spot for NZ entrepreneurs
- Tech innovation in Southeast Asia
- Doing business in the Philippines: Tips for New Zealanders
- Entrepreneur makes Dunedin-Chiang Mai connections