We provide overseas opportunities, professional development, information and resources so educators can equip students to thrive in their future with Asia
Opportunity: Indonesia Cultural Connections Trip
New Zealand teachers have the opportunity to collaborate with teachers in Indonesia to establish online connections between their students. Open to primary, intermediate and secondary teachers, this trip includes cultural tours in Java.
Watch a short video giving a taster of the Foundation's 2015 cultural connections trip to Indonesia.
About the trip
The Indonesia Cultural Connections Trip is a professional learning programme that builds teacher capacity through collaborating with Indonesian educators and experiencing Indonesia firsthand.
- Visit Jakarta and build connections with Indonesian educators while spending 2 -3 days in schools and having a 2-night homestay with the host teacher(s).
- Undertake cultural and historical tours of Jakarta and Yogyakarta
- Plan sustainable online connections and collaboration for students with your partner teacher(s).
To apply, you must:
- be travelling on a New Zealand passport or be a New Zealand permanent resident
- be a registered teacher working at a New Zealand school (with the intention to remain in the teaching profession after the Forum)
- have the full support of your principal.
Note: Applications from two or more teachers from different schools which are part of an existing cluster (e.g. CoLs, ALLiS, ICT) are particularly encouraged. A reasonable level of physical fitness will be required as participants will need to fully participate in an itinerary that can include up to 2 hours of walking a day.
The Foundation covers flights and in-country costs, including accommodation, transport, tour, and most food costs.
You will be responsible for acquiring travel and medical insurance, any necessary visas, gifts and personal spending money.
How to apply
Information on the next Indonesia Cultural Connections trip will be made available in mid 2018.
Applications will be assessed by a panel made up of Asia New Zealand staff and an external stakeholder. Successful applicants will be advised by Monday 22 May 2017.
Pre-departure and Post-trip meetings
Asia New Zealand Foundation education programme staff will travel to schools to run preparatory workshops for participants. A departure day meeting will also be held on Sunday 1 October 2017 at Auckland Airport which will be compulsory to attend.
There will be a post-visit workshop in March 2018 which will include an opportunity for you to share how you have actively sustained online connections with your partner teacher and engaged your students in regular connections with students in Indonesia.
Successful applicants will be required to agree to the standard for Asia New Zealand Foundation funding recipients. Foundation grantees are expected provide reports on their experience, and to seek opportunities to share their experience on their return to New Zealand, and to remain engaged with the Asia New Zealand Foundation. Sharing your experience with others is an important part of this initiative as it enlightens others about developments in Asia.
As a participant of the trip, you will also be expected to:
- Actively sustain online connections with your partner teacher in Indonesia
- Engage your students in regular connections with students in Indonesia.
For more information, please contact our Educators Network manager, Sean O’Connor.
- 2017 Indonesia Cultural Connections trip artile - Kiwi teachers make connections in Indonesia
- 2015 Indonesia Cultural Connections trip article - Teachers make cultural connections in Indonesia