Arts and Culture
We support and organise Asia-related events and festivals, and offer artists professional development opportunities in Asia
Opportunity: Arts grants
The Foundation now offers two categories of arts grants:
- Contestable arts grants
- Festival/major event fund.
The next round of arts grants closes 5pm, Monday 26 March 2018
Festival/major event fund
- Two grants of up to $5,000 each per grant round to bring international artists, performers, speakers etc who work in an Asian context to participate in the event. Open to recurring major events and festivals. The event must have international participation, a large general audience and attract wide media interest nationally
- One grant per round of up to $3,000 for a regional arts festival to include high quality Asian content, sourced from the Asian region or from within New Zealand.
Contestable arts grants
- Ten grants of up to a maximum of $2,000 each per grant round for arts organisations and arts professionals to support projects that will contribute to New Zealanders’ understanding of Asian arts and culture.
All applications for either grant fund must meet our objectives and eligibility criteria below.
Objectives of the Asia New Zealand Foundation arts grants
- To provide and support experiential opportunities, work placements, and exchanges for New Zealand-based arts professionals in Asian locations
- To assist New Zealand arts and cultural organisations in staging Asia-related content
- To support New Zealand arts professionals in creating networks in Asia
- To support collaborative and reciprocal projects between New Zealand and Asian artists and arts organisations
- To support forums or speakers discussing relevant arts and cultural issues with a New Zealand audience
- To assist local governments and arts institutions to include Asian content in their event programmes.
Organisations must be New Zealand based. Individual applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents (please provide proof of residency with your application).
- Arts and cultural organisations – galleries, museums, universities, theatre companies etc.
- arts administrators
- local and regional councils
- festival and major event organisers
- individual arts professionals.
- Any organisation or individual, or anyone associated with an organisation or individual, who has received a grant from us for three years in a row (financial year = 1 July-30 June). Festivals are exempt from this criterion.
- Any organisation or individual, or anyone associated with an organisation or individual that has received a grant during the current financial year (1 July – 30 June)
- Any previous grantee who has not reported sufficiently on that grant
- Amateur artists or organisations that are not professional arts organisations such as schools, clubs, student groups, religious groups etc.
If you are uncertain about your eligibility to apply, please email.
We will consider applications for:
- Arts projects, events or festivals with an Asian focus or element that will attract a general audience
- Costs associated with participation in artist-in-residence programmes in the Asian region
- Costs associated with work placements for arts professionals in the Asian region
- Projects that introduce an Asian dimension to mainstream events or festivals
- Hosting of international speakers, teachers and arts practitioners from the Asian region.
We will not consider applications for:
- Community events that are largely social in nature or have a very limited audience, or that primarily benefit the applicant community
- New Zealand work being shown off-shore
- Film production or research
- Book or publication production or research
- Conference or symposium attendance or speaking engagements offshore
- Projects that have already been completed
- Promotional projects run by diplomatic posts
- Ongoing assistance for the same project
- Costs associated with catering or refreshments.
- Applicants must submit reports on all previous grants they have had before a new application will be considered
- Competitive quotes must be included with all applications
- Incomplete or late applications will not be considered
- It should be noted that the Asia New Zealand Foundation is liable to inspection by the Office of the Auditor General. Therefore, all successful applicants will be required to account for the spending of funds received. The Foundation will require the funds to be returned if their use cannot be adequately accounted for.
Terms and conditions
Successful applicants will be required to agree to the standard Terms and Conditions for Asia New Zealand Foundation funding recipients. Foundation grantees are expected provide reports on their experience, and to seek opportunities to share their experience on their return to New Zealand, and to remain engaged with the Asia New Zealand Foundation. Sharing your experience with others is an important part of this initiative as it enlightens others about developments in Asia. Please read the full terms and conditions linked to below.
- There are three grant rounds per year, typically in March, July and November
- Please ensure your application reaches the Asia New Zealand Foundation office by 5pm on the deadline date
- Late applications will not be considered, nor will they be considered in between funding rounds
- Applications cannot be considered retrospectively – only apply if your event or project start date is six weeks or more from the deadline date
- You will be notified of the result of your application within six weeks of the deadline.
How to apply
Please fill in the attached application form and email or Dropbox to project culture officer Monica Turner.
** Note: you must first download the form before filling it in and saving it.**
Deadlines for applications in 2017
There are three grant rounds each year. The next rounds close:
- 5pm, Monday 26 March 2018
Please email culture project officer Monica Turner for more information.