We provide overseas opportunities, professional development, information and resources so educators can equip students to thrive in their future with Asia
Korean Studies Workshop
The Foundation's Korean Studies Workshop provides New Zealand educators the opportunity to travel to South Korea and learn about the country first-hand.
Deadline for applications: Friday 28 July
About the trip
Dates: 06 -14 October 2017 (excluding travel days)
The purpose of the Korean Studies Workshop is to deepen educators’ awareness, understanding and knowledge of South Korea so they can better equip their students with the knowledge and skills they’ll need in the future. Ten candidates will be selected to take part in the programme, which is sponsored by the Korea Foundation in partnership with the Asia New Zealand Foundation.
- visit sites of historical, cultural and contemporary relevance
- attend lectures about aspects of Korean culture and society
- visit a local school and share a meal with a host family.
To apply, you must:
- be travelling on a New Zealand passport or be a New Zealand permanent resident
- be a registered teacher working at a New Zealand school, or be working in the education sector
- have the full support of your principal or equivalent.
Please note that:
- priority will be given to secondary school teachers of history and social sciences; however, applications from intermediate and primary teachers will be considered, as will applications from the greater education sector.
- a reasonable level of physical fitness will be required, as participants will need to fully participate in an itinerary that can include up to 2 hours of walking a day.
All in-country costs are funded:
- transport and site visits
- group meals.
Educators will be responsible for:
- airfares (international and domestic) payable either by the teacher or, preferably, their school (Find out about booking information including flight dates - Word doc)
- their own travel to and from Auckland airport, travel insurance and spending money
- contributing towards group gifts for hosts.
Please note that:
- accommodation is twin share
- if you wish to have a single room, you’ll need to pay additional costs
- while most meals are provided, you may have to cover your own meal costs during periods allocated for free time.
- Deadline for applications: Friday 28 July
- Successful applicants notified by: Thursday 10 August
- Unsuccessful applicants notified by: Tuesday 15 August
How to apply
To apply email your completed application form, cover letter and supporting documents to Yasheeka Bertram.
Your cover letter should outline why you are interested in this trip and what you hope to achieve by participating. More details are provided on the application form.
Applications close: 5pm Friday 28 July
Email applications to: Yasheeka Bertram
Applications will be assessed by a panel made up of Asia New Zealand Foundation staff and an external stakeholder.
Successful applicants will be advised by Thursday 10 August 2017.
After taking part in the trip, successful applicants are expected to impart knowledge about Korea to their students. This can be achieved by:
- creating and teaching a unit of work in a format that could be used by other New Zealand teachers
- hosting a Korea focussed event(s) organised by your students in conjunction with the local community and/or Korean organisations
- establishing online connections between your students and students in Korea
- completing another Korea focussed project negotiated with Asia New Zealand Foundation.
Post trip, successful applicants are also expected to:
- be available to discuss your experiences with peers/colleagues/other stakeholders
- be available to be interviewed about the experience
- sign up to the Foundation's Educators Network (if not already).
For more information, please email Yasheeka Bertram.