We provide professional development and leadership opportunities to young professionals to support them in taking an active role in strengthening New Zealand’s relations with Asia
Join the Leadership Network
We are currently calling for applications for the 2018 intake to the Leadership Network. If you're a young New Zealand leader with an interest in Asia, this network is for you.
The Leadership Network equips New Zealand’s best and brightest to thrive in Asia. We support members to achieve, lead and learn about Asia so that New Zealand can succeed in this fascinating, challenging and important region.
Why join the network?
As a member, you will:
- Join a global network of young professionals that connect New Zealand with Asia
- Develop professionally through a curated programme of initiatives and activities in New Zealand and Asia
- Develop your leadership skills and have access to professional development opportunities including the Individual Leadership Pathway, a development tool tailored specifically for members
- Meet representatives from leading organisations in New Zealand and Asia
- Network with influential decision makers, entrepreneurs and key industry leaders
- Learn more about New Zealand-Asia relations
- Take part in community events and activities
- Forge lasting relationships.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for the best New Zealand has to offer – our thinkers, innovators, community leaders, artists, believers and change makers. We want to nurture you to become the best leader you can be with the ultimate aim to build your confidence in and with Asia. Our network is diverse, global, driven, innovative and ambitious – all the best qualities that Kiwis possess. Check out these stories to give you an idea of the network:
- Be aged between 20 and 30 at the time of application*
- Be a New Zealand citizen/permanent resident
- Be committed to building New Zealand-Asia relations
- Have evidence of leadership in your area of interest
- Have achieved success in your chosen field, or show the potential to be successful min your chosen field
- If short-listed, be available for a short skype meeting.
Successful applicants must undertake an induction programme:
- New Zealand-based applicants should be available to attend an induction programme (TBC May/June 2018)
- Offshore-based applicants may attend the induction programme with travel to New Zealand at their own cost
Successful applicants are not eligible to take up membership opportunities until an induction has been undertaken.
*applications are open to anyone aged 20-30 but some exceptions can be made. If you are a little older than 30, feel free to apply. If you are over 35, please email Masina to discuss a special application.
How to apply
There is one intake of new members to the network each year.
Please submit no later than 5pm Monday 26 March in PDF format:
- Maximum two-sided one-page curriculum vitae
- A one-page cover letter outlining your reasons for wanting to join the Leadership Network, covering:
a. what is your interest in or connection to Asia?
b. what have you achieved in your life/career?
c. how have you demonstrated leadership?
- Contact details for two referees.
Send to Masina Taulapapa.
Please ensure your application is received before the deadline as late entries will not be considered.
All applications will be reviewed by a panel of Asia New Zealand Foundation staff. An initial shortlist will be selected in early April 2018.
Shortlisted candidates will meet with the selection panel.
Foundation staff will make the final decision on successful applications.
If your application is successful, you will need to attend a weekend induction programme in Wellington in late May/early June 2018. All travel within New Zealand, accommodation and activity costs will be met by the Foundation.
For more information, please email Masina.