Japan Sports Forum
The Asia New Zealand Foundation is offering teachers of physical education and sport the chance to take part in a professional development opportunity in Japan.
About the Forum
Dates: The week-long forum will be held from 19-26 May, 2018.
Japan is host of four major upcoming sporting events: Rugby world Cup (RWC) 2019, Paralympics and Summer Olympics 2020 and the World Masters Games 2021.
Japan Sports Forum is designed to deepen teachers’ awareness of culture, traditions and society in Japan so they are equipped to teach about the region in relation to upcoming sporting events.
- gain first-hand experience of sports and recreation in Japan, as well as the history, culture and customs
- explore the role of sport in Japan by focusing on both traditional and modern aspects of sport
- learn about New Zealand – Japan sporting relationships
- deepen your understanding of Japan and Asia.
The programme may include visits to:
- RWC and Olympics related sites and briefings
- a sumo match or stable visit
- a rugby or baseball match
- a school with focus on sports and physical education programme
- sites of cultural and historical significance.
To apply, you must:
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- be a registered teacher working at a New Zealand school
- have the full support of your principal
- not have been to Japan for more than two weeks (total) previously
- be teaching physical education, or hold leading role in the sports academy at secondary level. Primary teachers must hold a leadership role in sports in their school.
Please note that a reasonable level of physical fitness will be required as participants will need to participate in an itinerary that may include up to 3 hours of walking a day.
All travel and in-country costs are funded:
- return economy airfares to Japan
- transport and site visits
- group meals
Teachers will be responsible for:
Comprehensive travel insurance, spending money and contributing towards group gifts for our hosts.
- Please register your interest in this opportunity by 2 October by contacting Yasheeka Bertram with your name, position, school, email address and phone contact details.
- Deadline for applications: 3 November 2017
- Successful applicants informed by: 4 December 2017
- Unsuccessful applicants informed by: 18 December 2017
How to apply
To apply, send three copies of your completed application form and supporting documents to the address below.
Your letter of application should outline why you are interested in this forum, and what you hope to gain for your school and community by taking part. More details of what to include are given on the application form.
Applications close: 5pm Friday 3 November
PO Box 105 134
Note: email, fax or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Applications will be assessed by a panel made up of Asia New Zealand staff and external stakeholders. Successful applicants will be advised by 4 December.
After taking part in the trip, successful participants are expected to impart knowledge about Japan to their students. This can be achieved by:
- creating and teaching a unit of work in a format that could be used by other New Zealand teachers
- hosting a Japan focussed event(s) organised by your students in conjunction with the local community and/or Japanese organisations
- completing another Japan focussed project negotiated with Asia New Zealand Foundation.
Post trip, successful participants are also expected to:
- submit a trip report
- sign up to the Educators Network (if not already).
- be available to discuss their experiences with peers/colleagues/other stakeholders.
- be available to be interviewed about their experience
The Foundation reserves the right to publicise your participation in the Forum
For more information, please contact Yasheeka Bertram