Japan Sports Forum
The Foundation is offering teachers of physical education and sport the chance to take part in a professional development opportunity in Japan.
Applications for the 2018 forum have now closed
About the Forum
Dates: The dates of the Forum are 19-26 May 2018
Japan is host of four major upcoming sporting events: Rugby world Cup (RWC) 2019, Paralympics and Summer Olympics 2020 and the World Masters Games 2021.
Japan Sports Forum is designed to deepen teachers’ awareness, of culture, traditions and society in Japan so they are equipped to teach about the region in relation to upcoming sports events with expertise knowledge and understanding.
- gain first-hand experience of sports and recreation in Japan, as well as the history, culture and customs.
- explore the role of sport in Japan by focusing on both traditional and modern aspects of sport.
- learn about New Zealand – Japan sporting relationships
- deepen your understanding of Japan and Asia
The programme may include visits to:
- RWC and Olympics related sites and briefings
- a sumo match or stable
- a rugby or baseball match
- a school with focus on sports and physical education programme
- sites of cultural and historical significance
To apply, you must:
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- be a registered teacher working at a New Zealand school
- have the full support of your principal
- not have been to Japan for more than two weeks (total) previously
- be teaching physical education, or hold leading role in the sports academy at secondary level. Primary teachers must hold a leadership role in sports in their school.
Please note that a reasonable level of physical fitness will be required, as participants will need to participate in an itinerary that can include up to 3 hours of walking a day.
All travel and in-country costs are funded
- return economy airfares to Japan
- transport and site visits
- group meals
Teachers will be responsible for:
Comprehensive travel insurance, spending money and contributing towards group gifts for our hosts.
Deadline for applications: 3 November 2017
Successful applicants informed by: 4 December 2017
Unsuccessful applicants informed by: 18 December 2017
How to apply
Applications have now closed
Applications will be assessed by a panel made up of Asia New Zealand staff and external stakeholders.
After taking part in the trip, successful participants are expected to impart knowledge about Japan to their students. This can be achieved by:
- creating and teaching a unit of work in a format that could be used by other New Zealand teachers
- hosting a Japan focussed event(s) organised by your students in conjunction with the local community and/or Japanese organisations
- completing another Japan focussed project negotiated with Asia New Zealand Foundation.
Post trip, successful participants are also expected to:
- submit a trip report
- sign up to the Educators Network (if not already).
- be available to discuss their experiences with peers/colleagues/other stakeholders.
- be available to be interviewed about their experience
The Foundation reserves the right to publicise your participation in the Forum
Please read the Foundations full terms and conditions here.
For more information, please contact Yasheeka Bertram