Arts and Culture
We support and organise Asia-related events and festivals, and offer artists professional development opportunities in Asia
Asia New Zealand Foundation is calling for applications for its artist in residence programmes to take place throughout Asia in 2018.
Successful candidates will live and work in Asia at prestigious residency organisations for three months, and will have the opportunity to meet and work with other international artists and curators.
Applications close 5pm, 14 August, 2017.
- Cemeti - Institute for Art and Society – Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- I: Project Space – Beijing, China
- Kriti Gallery – Varanasi, India
- Rimbun Dahan residency – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- SeMa Nanji Artists' Residency – Seoul, South Korea (supported by Creative New Zealand)
- Taipei Artist Village - Taipei, Taiwan (supported by Creative New Zealand
About the programme
Preference will be given to projects with potential for artistic collaboration and development of networks. Successful candidates will be required to provide progress reports of their residency to the Asia New Zealand Foundation and to seek opportunities to share their experience on their return to New Zealand – this could mean an exhibition, a series of presentations or artists talks, or publication of articles.
Asia New Zealand Foundation will provide a grant of NZ$7000 or NZ$9000 depending on the location of the residency to each successful applicant to cover travel and living expenses for three months. Artists may need to contribute some of their own funds, or secure funding from other avenues to supplement their living or production costs.
Applicants must be:
- professional, practicing artists. That is, they must make the bulk of their income from practising art or working within artistic fields
- professional emerging or mid-career artists with a record of achievement. Students or artists within two years of finishing under-graduate study are not eligible to apply
- New Zealand citizens or permanent residents
- currently residing in New Zealand, and intending to live in New Zealand for at least one year after they complete the residency.
You may apply for ONE residency only.
Terms and conditions
Successful applicants will be required to agree to the standard Terms and Conditions for Asia New Zealand Foundation funding recipients. Foundation grantees are expected provide reports on their experience, and to seek opportunities to share their experience on their return to New Zealand, and to remain engaged with the Asia New Zealand Foundation. Sharing your experience with others is an important part of this initiative as it enlightens others about developments in Asia. Please read the Terms and Conditions carefully and only apply for this opportunity if you are confident that you can comply with them.
An independent panel appointed by Asia New Zealand Foundation will select a shortlist of candidates, from which the residency host will make a choice. Selection criteria will include:
- record of achievement – artists must have had at least one group show and one solo show;
- a specific artistic rationale for wishing to be resident in the selected country;
- the quality and significance of the proposed residency project. This may include research, meeting with identified artistic/cultural influencers, creating a new body of work and/or artistic collaborations;
- ability to develop networks and work collaboratively;
- quality of confirmed or potential outcomes;
- an understanding of the aims of the Asia New Zealand Foundation residency programme;
- ability to adapt to living and working in a new environment.
Successful candidates will be announced by the end of September and the residencies will take place in 2018.
How to apply
Support material by email is preferred but if you need to post it please send it to the address below. Support material will not be returned – do not include original material in an application.
Asia New Zealand Foundation
PO Box 10 144
Asia New Zealand Foundation
Level 16, Fujitsu Tower
141 The Terrace
DEADLINE: Applications must reach the Asia New Zealand Foundation office no later than 5pm Monday 14 August 2017. Late applications will not be accepted and extensions will not be granted.
For further information please contact:
Monica Turner: 04-815 8439, email@example.com