Arts and Culture
We support and organise Asia-related events and festivals, and offer artists professional development opportunities in Asia
2017 Curators programme – Taiwan and Japan
Each year, Creative New Zealand, in partnership with Asia New Zealand Foundation, supports up to three curators to visit leading art museums, galleries, and artist spaces in Asia.
Information on the 2018 Curators Programme will be made available in early 2018.
The purpose of the Curators Programme is to assist curators to:
- develop and share market knowledge of the contemporary art of Taiwan and Japan and its relevance for a New Zealand audience
- contribute to the long-term development of international opportunities and audiences for New Zealand artists in Asia
- increase awareness of cultural and artistic practice in Asia
- explore opportunities for NZ artists to have work exhibited in Taiwan and Japan
- explore opportunities for exchange and/or joint exhibitions/projects
- develop their own curatorial practice and build professional networks.
We will offer each curator:
- return economy class airfares
- professional guides
- per diems
- ground transport.
Programme participants may need to contribute an additional amount to cover all costs.
- be available to complete the tour and have no date restrictions - the tour will take place in October 2017. (Exact travel dates TBC)
- be able to take leave from their place of employment for the duration of the tour as there is no capacity to keep up with work in New Zealand while on the tour
- have a current passport, with six months’ validity from August 2017
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
Successful applicants will:
- show a desire to work with artists from Asia, learn about Asian art and explore opportunities for collaboration
- have support from their institutions, or, in the case of independent curators, an expression of interest from a gallery in a specific project area
- demonstrate a track record in terms of knowledge of New Zealand arts and curatorial practice
- demonstrate how the trip will impact on their professional development
- be prepared to share information from the tour on their return to New Zealand
- be prepared to participate in Creative New Zealand’s Te Manu Ka Tau International Visitors programme
- undertake their own research and provide input into the itinerary prior to the tour.
Terms and conditions
The curators will be expected to share what they learned on their return to New Zealand. They will also be invited to support Creative New Zealand’s Te Manu Ka Tau International Visitors Programme, contributing to the selection of international visitors from Asia and, if applicable, hosting the visitor(s) at different points in their itinerary while in NZ.
Successful applicants will be required to agree to the standard Terms and Conditions for Asia New Zealand Foundation funding recipients.
Monica Turner, Asia New Zealand Foundation
(04) 815 8439