Speeches, papers and articles
Asia New Zealand Foundation staff regularly represent the organisation at seminars, conferences and other functions. This section includes speeches made by staff at events, and also includes articles and submissions that have appeared in the media.
If you would like a copy of a speech or lecture that is not listed below, email email@example.com
- Kiwis need to be more Asia-literate - opinion piece by Asia New Zealand Foundation executive director John McKinnon in The Dominion Post (18 March 2013)
- The Strategic Outlook: New Zealand - speech by John McKinnon at the Royal United Services Institute, Sydney (February 2013)
- New Zealand in the Asian Century: Peace and Prosperity - speech by John McKinnon to the Australian Institute of International Affairs (February 2013)
- Introducing John McKinnon - our new executive director talks about his previous roles and his vision for the Foundation (January 2013)
- New Zealand should follow Australia's lead on Asian initiatives (PEF - 456KB) - our chairman Philip Burdon responds to the release of the Australian Government's Australia in the Asian Century white paper, November 2012
- Asia New Zealand Foundation submission to the Royal Society of New Zealand: Provision of language support in New Zealand, August 2012
- Daunting challenges amidst the hope - our former executive director Dr Richard Grant outlines the challenges facing Myanmar after a visit in May 2012
- 60th Anniversary National Conference of New Zealand-China Friendship Society (PDF - 375KB) - keynote speech by chairman Philip Burdon, Auckland, May 2012
- Prejudices over Asian people linger (PDF - 295KB) - an opinion piece by chairman Philip Burdon in The Dominion Post, 19 April 2012
- Mind the gap: how NZ and Australia think of Asia - a guest post by research director Dr Andrew Butcher on the Lowy Institute's Interpreter blog, 16 April 2012
- Dr Richard Grant's farewell interview - Dr Andrew Butcher talks to outgoing Asia New Zealand Foundation executive director Dr Richard Grant, March 2012
- Submission to the Australia in the Asian Century Task Force (PDF- 239KB) - recognising that the way Australia interacts with the Asia region plays a crucial part in how New Zealand responds to consolidating its place in the region. The Foundation has made this submission to a white paper on what action Australia should take to seize opportunities and meet the challenges of the “Asian century” - February 2012
- Demography, Diaspora and Diplomacy: New Zealand's Asia Challenges (PDF - 378KB) - paper by Dr Andrew Butcher in Volume 36 of the New Zealand Population Review.
- Rugby diplomacy - a guest post by Dr Andrew Butcher on the Lowy Institute's Interpreter blog, 9 September 2011
“There goes the neighbourhood”: New Zealand’s new future in Asia - public lecture by Dr Andrew Butcher, Massey University Albany, May 2011
Speech by Dr Andrew Butcher to EthincA (PDF - 343KB), the Office of Ethnic Affairs conference, April 2011
Lesson for TVNZ in Paul Henry backlash - an op-ed by our chairman Philip Burdon published in The Press, October 2010
Personal encounters with Asia - research director Dr Andrew Butcher speaks to a Federated Farmers training session in Wellington on 11 March 2010.
Speech by Dr Richard Grant to Teacher Education Forum of Aotearoa New Zealand (TEFANZ) - on educating young New Zealanders about why Asia matters, Palmerston North, 17 July 2009
The importance of Asia awareness in New Zealand - letter by Dr Richard Grant published in The Listener, June 2009
Asia in the light of the financial crisis - executive director Dr Richard Grant speaks to the Wellington branch of the NZIIA, November 2008. Dr Richard Grant was interviewed on this topic on TV3's ASB Business programme on Wednesday, 3 December 2008. Download a transcript of the interview.
Thinking about re-entry in new ways - Dr Andrew Butcher; paper presented by video link to the I-Care Conference, Washington DC, 1 June 2008