Young Leaders Network Forum marks 5th year
22 November 2010
The 2010 Young Leaders Forum is set to be a demanding and exciting week. After four successful years, the Asia New Zealand Foundation Young Leaders Forum brings together more outstanding young people, aged 20 to 34, from New Zealand and Asia for a seven-day programme this week.
Selected through a competitive application process, the 30 participants have demonstrated leadership potential and a commitment to furthering New Zealand-Asia relations.
Participants are from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines – business, science, media, education and the arts. They include undergraduate and post-graduate students as well as recent graduates and young leaders already working.
“This year, as in previous years, there has been huge interest in being chosen to participate in the forum. It’s our belief that these young leaders will make a valuable contribution to New Zealand’s engagement with Asia,” said Asia New Zealand Foundation executive director Dr Richard Grant.
This year’s forum programme includes a real-life Leadership Challenge. In groups, young leaders will work in groups, and race against time to produce an exhibition of photos taken by young leaders in Asia. The exhibition will be launched on Thursday 25 November.
Other highlights of the programme include visits to Asian embassies and high commissions in Wellington, seminars on New Zealand-Asia relations (social, economic and government issues) and workshops on leadership learning, effective presentations and networking.
In 2010, members of the Young Leaders Network have participating in a number of Asia New Zealand Foundation activities.
These have included:
• participated in a roundtable with Rahul Gandhi
• participated in the JENESYS Programme on Comprehensive Peace Building Initiatives of young leaders in Asia and Oceania in Japan
• participated in the JENESYS Programme on Sustainable Development in Communities in Japan
• attended a speaking event with US Ambassador, David Huebner
• met with Singapore Foreign Minister George Yeoh
• attended the 24rd Asia Pacific Roundtable in Kuala Lumpur
• spoke at the Business Education Programme (BEP) symposium in Shanghai
• been part of the Wellington City Council delegation to the World Expo in Shanghai
• attended the 19th PECC General Meeting in Tokyo, Japan
• participated in the APEC Voices of the Future conference in Yokohama, Japan
Young Leaders Network Coordinator
021 434 809