We offer Asia-focused business seminars and networking opportunities in New Zealand and internships in Asia
Business Internship with CJ Cultural Foundation in Seoul
The Asia New Zealand Foundation invites undergraduate and postgraduate (business, marketing, media and communications students) with an interest in the creative or entertainment industries to apply for an internship in South Korea with the CJ Cultural Foundation, over the 2018/2019 summer.
Applications close Monday 27 August 2018.
About the CJ Cultural Foundation
Students who are positive, confident and interested in developing a career in culture and media industries are strongly encouraged to apply.
The CJ Cultural Foundation sits under the corporate social responsibility wing of the CJ Corporation, a South Korean life-style conglomerate with interests in food, shopping, logistics, entertainment, media and technology.
The goal of the Cultural Foundation is to support diverse and creative culture industries by discovering and nurturing talent in music, films, and other performing arts.
The successful intern will be placed in the CJ Cultural Foundation’s office in Seoul. They will join a team engaged in activities ranging from planning cultural and social events and conducting market research on the cultural industry in South Korea. The intern will be given a specific project or meaningful work to do. A mentoring supervisor will be assigned to monitor the intern’s professional development and overall welfare.
About the internship
In order to better equip New Zealand businesses to thrive in Asia, the Asia New Zealand Foundation provides opportunities for New Zealanders to gain work experience in the region and to share that knowledge when they return. The internship programme aims to help New Zealanders build a better understanding of the people, environment and culture of their Asian host country.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to:
- plan and assist cultural and social events in cooperation with the CJ Cultural Foundation’s project managers
- conduct market research on culture industry relevant to the company’s work and monitor English media reporting, social media trends
- outreach and communicate with overseas institutions for business networks
- assist on onsite/offsite events on culture, arts media and entertainment events, workshops
The internship will take place over three months between late November 2018 and March 2019.
The Asia NZ Foundation will cover the cost of return airfares to Seoul, travel insurance, and a stipend to cover living expenses. CJ Cultural Foundation will provide accommodation costs and contribute towards a daily stipend. The intern will be required to contribute NZ$500 towards his/her living expenses. CJ Cultural Foundation will assist with identifying suitable accommodation to ensure the intern lives appropriately during their internship.
The Asia NZ Foundation and the CJ Cultural Foundation will jointly deliver pastoral care and introduce the intern to public and private sector networks in Seoul.
Applicants must be:
- New Zealand citizens or permanent residents
- in good health
- due to complete at least two years of tertiary study by November 2018
- adaptable, mature, reliable and resilient
- willing to experience Korean working environment and culture industry
- interested in pursuing a career involving South Korea and the wider Asian region
While the ability to speak Korean would be an advantage, it is not a prerequisite for this opportunity as English is widely spoken in the office. Ideal candidates will have an interest in the national culture of Korea and aspire to develop their capacity for working in cross-cultural environments.
Applicants should be willing to:
- take out appropriate travel insurance (subsidised by the Foundation)
- contribute $500 to their living costs while offshore
- contribute a 600-word article with photographs for the Foundation’s website while offshore
- write a final three-page report evaluating the internship experience
- participate in Foundation professional development activities and networking events after they return from Korea.
How to apply
Please send a succinct cover letter, outlining your motivation for applying, along with your CV and academic transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the words “CJ Cultural Foundation Seoul” in the subject line.
Applications close Monday 27 August 2018.
For more information phone 09 369 5014.