An online magazine of news and opinions from the Asia New Zealand Foundation
Philippines visit for tech entrepreneurs
The Asia New Zealand Foundation is providing up-to five young New Zealand tech entrepreneurs and business leaders the chance to visit the Philippines.
The Foundation's programme manager (Entrepreneurship and Leadership) Adam McConnochie discusses the upcoming Philippines trip for entrepreneurs and business leaders
The week-long programme will give participants a better understanding of the tech sector in the Philippines and Southeast Asia and allow participants to attend Techtonic 2018.
About the trip
Dates: 18-25 June 2018
This opportunity is part of the ASEAN Young Business Leaders Initiative (YBLI), a key part of the New Zealand Government’s ASEAN strategy.
The aim of the programme is to facilitate trade and build connections between business leaders and entrepreneurs in New Zealand and Southeast Asia. This is achieved through short targeted visits to New Zealand and Southeast Asia.
As of March 2017, 80 business leaders and entrepreneurs from all 10 ASEAN countries have visited New Zealand and 31 business leaders and entrepreneurs from New Zealand have travelled to Southeast Asia. This is the seventh group of ‘Kiwi’ YBLIs.
Successful applicants will meet Filipino entrepreneurs in the tech sector, develop a greater knowledge of the Filipino business environment, and explore ways to collaborate with entrepreneurs from the Philippines.
During the trip you will:
- learn about the the Philippines tech sector
- meet and network with entrepreneurs
- explore business opportunities
- take time to understand the culture of the Philippines and to connect with your group members
- attend Techtonic 2018.
The Foundation will work with the New Zealand Embassy and the New Zealand Trade Commission in Manila to deliver the programme.
Who can apply?
Applicants must be:
- aged under 40
- an entrepreneur or business leader at CEO or senior management level in a New Zealand tech business
- Outstanding start-up entrepreneurs or emerging entrepreneurs will also be considered. No knowledge or experience of the Philippines is expected.
- have New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, but can be based offshore
- be interested in connecting with equivalents from other countries and exploring international business opportunities
- be confident public speakers willing to engage in dialogue with entrepreneurs from other countries
- be willing to contribute to the Foundation’s Leadership Network and entrepreneurship programmes.
How to apply
Applications are no longer being accepted for this opportunity
The Asia New Zealand Foundation will fund the costs of successful applicants, including a return economy airfare, domestic transport, accommodation as well as most meals and miscellaneous expenses. Participants will need to cover their own spending money and insurance costs.
Applications will be assessed by the Asia New Zealand Foundation staff in consultation with external experts, and the New Zealand Embassy in Manila.
Read stories from previous YBLI Asia visits
- Tech entrepreneurs makes Dunedin-Chiang Mai connections
- F&B entrepreneurs get a taste of Malaysia and Singapore
- Dunedin's thriving tech scene inspires
- Young business leaders build ASEAN networks
- Business leaders forge friendships at KL summit
- Indonesia paradise for F&B entrepreneurs
14 March 2018